Check out the titles we're talking about now!

The staff, volunteers and trustees of Tompkins County Public Library write their own reviews.


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness


I have just finished The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, a YA novel by a new American author living in the UK. It was reviewed in the Financial Times as a book that should be read by adults and not allowed to sit buried on the YA shelves. The reviewer said that like The Golden Compass, it would appeal to adults. It is one of the fastest paced books I have read and once I got into it, I found it difficult to put down. The language takes some getting used to. The graphic design of the novel is important and one must pay attention to it. It requires one's full attention when reading. The book is the first in what is planned to be a trilogy. I can't wait for the next book to be published. I finished this one feeling like I was almost falling off the edge of a precipice. I almost regret reading it as I so desperately want to know what is going to happen next. The story is about a boy running away from the community where he has been living where there are no women, and everyone can hear everyone's and everything's thoughts. From the incessant thoughts of men, animals, strange swamp creatures, the noise is everywhere and palpable.

I am really hoping our Teen Librarian will arrange an adult/teen book discussion group to discuss this novel. - Reviewed by Sally

No comments: